Getting Ready To Tow

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giltos

Reaction score
Evening everyone, I've just bought my first campervan, delivery Jan next year. Curious on what ppl have done to their Nav's to prepare.

I've got a 2008 D40 2.5 auto and it's just clocked over 200K.

I'm about to fit redarc towpro and run a 50A Anderson plug to my towbar. Thoughts on transmission services and upgrades? Keen to hear your thoughts.

I had the transmission cooler in the radiator disconnected and now have two external transmission coolers.

I also use an Android app called "Torque" to monitor coolant temps (requires a bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 port).

I chose a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller because it has variable power levels and a manual brake lever so I can bring the van brakes on gently while I'm still driving. This is exceptionally handy for downhills and for any time the trailer starts to wag - a gentle application of trailer brakes while maintaining throttle and speed and the trailer immediately settles.

Admittedly my 2.5T caravan doesn't often wag, but in a big cross-wind it sometimes gets a rhythm up and the electric brake stops the wag without trouble.

Clearview towing mirrors - clipons just vibrate. Clearview really are the bees' knees.

Wikicamps Australia (app). Couldn't do without it. Finds campsites (paid and free), rest areas, you name it, with photos and reviews and even contact information where relevant.

Thanks Tony. I've booked into wholesale automatics for a trans check+service and a cooler to be fitted.
Electric brake wise, I went for red arc tow pro, it's sitting on my desk need to fit it now the weather is getting better.
Was thinking about running a lead down as well to charge things in the camper while I'm driving. Terminate it at my tow plug with a 50A Anderson.
Fun times ahead! First big trip is Fraser next year, can't wait!!

Looking at Easter next year. Keen to get up there for a good 10 to 14 days. Explore bit of the West side of the island as well. Been watching the content of a few You Tubers, magnificent to say the least!

Thanks Tony. I've booked into wholesale automatics for a trans check+service and a cooler to be fitted.
Electric brake wise, I went for red arc tow pro, it's sitting on my desk need to fit it now the weather is getting better.
Was thinking about running a lead down as well to charge things in the camper while I'm driving. Terminate it at my tow plug with a 50A Anderson.
Fun times ahead! First big trip is Fraser next year, can't wait!!

If you are running power there, use really large cables. I used 4 8Ga cables (2 for positive, 2 for negative) to send power to my tub and to the trailer. Don't forget a big fuse near the battery at the start of that lead.

Fraser is supposed to be great. Take a good air compressor with you. MaxTrax may be handy, I've heard there are some soft areas around the place. Not the place for mud tyres!

Fraser (or now K'gari) is amazing! if your going west be sure to head up to wathumba creek.. We normally spend most of our time on the east coast and do the lower few lakes( wabby, mackenzie) in the first week and then spend alot more time up in the north east.. Great family day is floating down eli creek on a crocodile shaped floaty sinking a tinnie or two

You'll be fine, just remember your air pressures, i always air down before hitting the sand- i start at 18psi and never have to adjust far from there..
If your Nav has the VDC button, rememeber when your in the softer sand in 4hi, hit that to turn it off.. Best advice i think i can give

Latest posts

Back