how on earth do you tune D22 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea i would assume that they are different,but i meant i havent heard anyone with a D22 running that low at 100kph.

yea i would assume that they are different,but i meant i havent heard anyone with a D22 running that low at 100kph.

that's what i'm saying craig with those 32's your revs would be way lower than mine at a 100k's, therefore yours would clog up quicker than something with standard tires, as the engine with standard tires is revving better therefore burning more efficiently.

where does yours sit at 100?i didnt like it when mine ran at 3000-3100rpm at 100,it was working to hard just to cruize imo then especially when i sped up to overtake.i like it running at 2600 and with the EGR mod it should stay clean.even without it its not lagging at 100 its quet responsive so id say at stock theyve gone a little over board and with bigger tyres it brings it down to a good level

Mine at 100 is about the 2700 region... then again 31x10.5.
I wouldn't like mine singing at 3000+ for hours on end.
craig have you moved to nowra?

yea i didnt like it up 3000+,especially on long trips.
nope not yet,just getting everything ready.work finishes on 16th nov so im leaveing that day.should be a good trip down.

r u guys going by wat speed ur gps is saying because. ur car is always gunna rev the same at the same speed it dusnt matter wat size tyres u have it will allways rev the same.
this was desust in another thread the other day.

r u guys going by wat speed ur gps is saying because. ur car is always gunna rev the same at the same speed it dusnt matter wat size tyres u have it will allways rev the same.
this was desust in another thread the other day.

Nope. Wrong. If you increase the size of the tire, and therefore the rolling distance of one revolution of the wheel, then that means that in a single revolution of the larger tire you will travel FURTHER then you would have in a single revolution of the smaller tire size.

What you're thinking of is RPM's. The number of revolutions of your axles will not change at certain speeds and engine revolutions.

However if your tires are bigger, then in that single revolution you will travel further, and if you want to travel the same DISTANCE, then your larger tires will not have to do as many revolutions to make up that distance.

Therefore, lower RPM's on bigger tires. Don't make me break out the Maths.

Nope. Wrong. If you increase the size of the tire, and therefore the rolling distance of one revolution of the wheel, then that means that in a single revolution of the larger tire you will travel FURTHER then you would have in a single revolution of the smaller tire size.

What you're thinking of is RPM's. The number of revolutions of your axles will not change at certain speeds and engine revolutions.

However if your tires are bigger, then in that single revolution you will travel further, and if you want to travel the same DISTANCE, then your larger tires will not have to do as many revolutions to make up that distance.

Another reason why I want my 33's before I go to fraser. 17 hour

Glad someone explained it because I couldn't be bothered.180 I think FB was talking more about the drive there than the sand

+1 on this entire post.

The caveat with larger tyres is more effort needed to turn the things over. The car feels more sluggish and uses more fuel to do the same work - except at cruising speed. Once you're up there, the lower RPM saves you fuel. It's GETTING up there that makes it gulp more.

+1 on this entire post.

The caveat with larger tyres is more effort needed to turn the things over. The car feels more sluggish and uses more fuel to do the same work - except at cruising speed. Once you're up there, the lower RPM saves you fuel. It's GETTING up there that makes it gulp more.

This is why I plan to chip the Mav so I can use the extra torque to my advantage. Instead of accelerating harder just let the torque do the work.

ill be keen to chip for the same reason,she pulls good now but some extra help would be good

Hi craig, taking mrs to work today so will have a check and see what rev's i do at 100k, also i would love to have big tires too but it just pulls the arse out of the low down grunt, to do it properly ya need to go to 35's and then change diff ratio's to match back to standard tire size, then ya got big wheels and lift but still got factory torque.

Hi craig, taking mrs to work today so will have a check and see what rev's i do at 100k, also i would love to have big tires too but it just pulls the arse out of the low down grunt, to do it properly ya need to go to 35's and then change diff ratio's to match back to standard tire size, then ya got big wheels and lift but still got factory torque.

will be intresting to see what yours is running at.hopefully it is just your intake is full of crap.
to much effort to put 35s on the nav.what grunt i lost down bottom (very little,less then i thought i was going to) was quickly made up with the intercool and 80 series airbox.way better than stock now.i think where it reall starts hurting is 33s and up.

will be intresting to see what yours is running at.hopefully it is just your intake is full of crap.
to much effort to put 35s on the nav.what grunt i lost down bottom (very little,less then i thought i was going to) was quickly made up with the intercool and 80 series airbox.way better than stock now.i think where it reall starts hurting is 33s and up.

oh ok m8

yea well at 100k's mine sit's at about 2650rpm, but to give you an idea on just how gutless this thing is...on a slight incline where you should be able to hold 100k's any day of the week this thing wouldn't have a hope in hell of holding a 100.

Is it really worth inter cooling? does it really make that much difference? cause that's what i was thinking of doing next as a mod?

Last edited:
Hopefully it's just something small you can get fixed cheap mate.
Yea for sure,I only put a tiny intercooler in as a top mount (200 with silicone pipes) no bonnet scoop and I haven't put the thermo fan on yet and it still makes a noticeable difference,I did it most to protect the engine which is why I didnt buy a kit because there up around the 1200 mark at least for memory.also the 80 series airbox is well worth doing,there both only smallish gains but together there good then plus your exhaust you should find it is much much better down low.then you just gotta figure out what's wrong with it and you'll be laughing.deffently clean you manifold and sensors

From what i can see, No one has mentioned the nps. Dont know if this could be the problem. Do you find it does not like to rev above 3000 rpm? Probably not all the problem but it might be some of it

Take it to a Diesel Expert. The ZD30 has a Bosch VP44 pump which is a very common fitting to pre Common Rail electronically controlled diesels so there should be plenty of knowledge out there. I took mine to Berrima Diesel, it wasn't cheap ($800) but worth every cent. Cleaned and checked injectors and tuned the pujmp. Power increased every where, especially low down, improved fuel consumption and lower EGTs. By 150 degrees C! Will be visiting every 100,000kms.

Latest posts

Back