Idiots on the road.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the point that's being made is that without that piece of paper, according to the law the vehicle is not considered legal.

Exactly.

The next part of this post is addressed to Solid D22.

You are blatantly breaking the law, and seemingly happy to do so, every time you take your vehicle out on public roads. You may very well have a nice vehicle - I'm not and have never disputed the build quality or the structural integrity. Whether or not you have had it inspected is irrelevant - you don't have the relevant certifications, you don't have the endorsements on your rego etc, therefore, the vehicle is illegal. Full stop. That is all.

Everything else you say is excuses to try and make yourself feel better about breaking the law every time you take that vehicle out onto public roads.

Whether you take this as a personal attack or not is entirely up to you - the situation is what it is and is entirely of your making - it is no one elses fault. You also say you won't change your actions until someone from the law enforcement community or traffic authority tells you to get the right piece of paper. I suggest that your attitude of self righteousness is abhorrent, and I hope, quite sincerely, that your vehicle is defected, impounded, and that you are prosecuted to the full extent possible under the law. I say this not out of any malice, but because I believe the roads in your area would be safer if that were to happen. It is, in my opinion, no different to taking a vehicle off the road that may be perfectly roadworthy, but whose registration has expired....that happens every day of the week and no one bats an eye.

If you had only just built the thing and been pinged while driving it around the corner for inspection at the engineer, well, maybe a different story, but you really don't care about the law and other road users do you - just your own little world.

Good luck to you. I am done with you and all conversation involving you until you remedy the situation.

Last edited:
I don't want to pick on Solid and his illegal car (because his goes faster than mine and he can run me down) however this afternoon I saw a prime example of one of the biggest problems on the road.

An L plater cutting across 4 lanes of traffic (from the right lane) at the last minute and running over the painted traffic island between lane 2 and 3 and moving into the far left lane to continue on the highway. About 4 k's down the road the same L plater at speed weaves his way between a truck in the left lane and a car in the right lane to pass the truck before the other car could.

While this sort of thing driving ability doesn't make this particular L plater look good just what does it say about the fully licenced person that is suppose to be in the passenger seat teaching them how to drive. As discussed in this thread so many times education is the key to people doing the right thing but if the educator is teaching them the wrong thing whats the point.

In Vic an L plater must have something like 120 hours of driving listed in a diary before going for the P plates and while many people are getting told off for not keeping the diaries properly or faking entries the principle of the idea is reasonable enough. But until such time as they ensure that every L plater must do some form of training through either driving school or similar type professional course then it doesn't matter how many hours experience one has if that experience is taught by someone who doesn't understand or adhere to the rules themselves.

There will of course be some people who can't afford to get a licence if they are required to do some form of accredited training before getting their licence but just like everything else in life having a licence costs money and learning to drive properly costs a lot less than killing people. I've spent well over $8k on licences and courses (not just road ones) in my time because I needed them, spending $1-2K on learning to drive properly the first time isn't really a huge ask when you consider just how many years the average driver holds a licence for.

solid, i'm new to the forum buddy so i hope im not out of line.
spend ur $800 and get certified. if u have an accident,... even if its not ur fault you will be screwed. you could quite possibly loose everything.

james

I don't want to pick on Solid and his illegal car (because his goes faster than mine and he can run me down) however this afternoon I saw a prime example of one of the biggest problems on the road.

An L plater cutting across 4 lanes of traffic (from the right lane) at the last minute and running over the painted traffic island between lane 2 and 3 and moving into the far left lane to continue on the highway. About 4 k's down the road the same L plater at speed weaves his way between a truck in the left lane and a car in the right lane to pass the truck before the other car could.

While this sort of thing driving ability doesn't make this particular L plater look good just what does it say about the fully licenced person that is suppose to be in the passenger seat teaching them how to drive. As discussed in this thread so many times education is the key to people doing the right thing but if the educator is teaching them the wrong thing whats the point.

In Vic an L plater must have something like 120 hours of driving listed in a diary before going for the P plates and while many people are getting told off for not keeping the diaries properly or faking entries the principle of the idea is reasonable enough. But until such time as they ensure that every L plater must do some form of training through either driving school or similar type professional course then it doesn't matter how many hours experience one has if that experience is taught by someone who doesn't understand or adhere to the rules themselves.

There will of course be some people who can't afford to get a licence if they are required to do some form of accredited training before getting their licence but just like everything else in life having a licence costs money and learning to drive properly costs a lot less than killing people. I've spent well over $8k on licences and courses (not just road ones) in my time because I needed them, spending $1-2K on learning to drive properly the first time isn't really a huge ask when you consider just how many years the average driver holds a licence for.

Mate that's spot on. In fact, I would go as far to say that it would be even WORSE for someone to be trained by their parents (if, for those types) have been driving for 20-30 years, don't care about cars or driving, and over those years of compounding complaceny and ignorance have forgotten most of the road rules and become useless drivers themselves, than if those particular parents had no input at all.

I was lucky enough to be taught how to drive (on the road at least) by my father who is interested in 4X4's, has a reasonable knowledge of cars, is very responsible and courteous on the road, and gives driving his full attention. But it's not just during the L plate training where young people learn to drive - it's whenever you're in a car with (especially) your parents. If your parents brea the road rules, don't drive courteously, sit in the right hand lane all the time and so on, you will think that is okay. I think it's safe to say like father like son in our case because he has taught me well, both consciously and passively. However, people who are taught by their mums or dads who have no interest in cars or driving will probably end up the same. If you don't care about something, then you're more than likely going to be rubbish at it.

I agree totally.
See this all the time...dont know how they get their license after 120 hours of lessons by their older siblings/friends or parents who have no interest and or knowledge to teach them correctly.
Some of the things I've seen learners and there supposed instructors do on the roads beggars belief,
even seen where the mum was asleep and know of friends that have been drinking heavily and use their learner driver kids as "taxi" drivers to get them home.

I give up sometimes.

I agree totally.
See this all the time...dont know how they get their license after 120 hours of lessons by their older siblings/friends or parents who have no interest and or knowledge to teach them correctly.
Some of the things I've seen learners and there supposed instructors do on the roads beggars belief,
even seen where the mum was asleep and know of friends that have been drinking heavily and use their learner driver kids as "taxi" drivers to get them home.

I give up sometimes.

While the licenced driver being over the limit is obviously illegal and coppers are within their right to test both driver and passenger the really sad thing is that if even if the coppers do pull over an L plater chances are by the time the coppers get to the car the passenger would be awake and sleeping becomes a hard law to enforce. But the law does say something to the effect of the licenced passenger must be in a fit driving state themselves before teaching someone else and that would cover not being asleep, drunk, drugged or incoherent.

I nearly got run off the road on the eastern side of the Labertouche servo speed trap zone this arvo on the way home from the city. Stupid idiot removalist driving the old clapped out 12 tonner thinks he is clever overtaking cars that are doing 97 until he gets to the hill then gets shitty when they over take him. I've had quite a number of run ins with this arsehole and he knows my Nav just like I know his boss so I'm sure he treats it as payback but his behavior is still the main reason I ring his boss, for some reason he's yet to figure this out.

Brains just aren't handed out to some people obviously.

Sounds like shifting furniture is about as much as his grey stuff can handle....

Dunno whether it's online or not but todays Herald Sun (Vic) showed a classic example of furniture shifting using too much grey matter. The idiot caught on East link over the weekend carting 5 double mattress's on the roof of his Falcon. From the pic you can't see how they are tied on but either way you have to wonder just why someones brain doesn't kick into gear when they are tying 5 mattress's on the roof of a car.

Even sillier was the copper quoted suggesting that from the look of the image the guy was doing nothing fine-able because the load didn't over hang and it was tied down accordingly. Makes you wonder when they can bring stupidity in as a fine-able offense.

I thought the police had a rule like "driving without due care and attention" which, because of it's complete ambiguity, allows them to basically book you for anything which doesn't really tick a box in itself. It begs belief that they can book you for having tyres that are 1 inch too big, but not for something like that.... And what begs belief even more is that police will do this. Being realistic, yeah the rules are there in black and white and all the rest of it, but at the end of the day Police should be using their common sense and discretion and I think by the most part they do, but some of them are on a bit of a power trip and will fine people just because it says so in the rules/laws, but the best cops are the ones who are able to diffuse a situation or influence people to do the right thing rather than simply restrain/lock up/fine people. There will always be deadshits who won't listen to reason, but Police in their experience should be able to judge the situation on it's merits, surely. There has been situations when I have been out at nightclubs and Police have violently restrained people who were clearly no threat, and I've been in similar situations where the cops are able to use their 6th sense to diffuse the situation and everything turned out great - but could have gone the other way if they got on the offensive too early. Don't get me wrong, I have utmost respect for most Police officers, I even want to be one (if only I could afford to take a 50% pay cut), but some of them really shouldn't be in the job, or need some more life experience out of uniform before they get in the job. With regards to traffic or vehicle issues, the same could be applied. A lot of people would have no idea that certain modifications or accessories on their car are illegal and are good law abiding citizens, I don't think it's too much to ask for a police officer to issue them a warning, or a "come to the station within 7 days to show me it's been rectified" notice. I guess there may be legal ramifications to the officers though, if they gave them a warning then the 1" too large tyres caused a serious accident they could possibly be sued? If so then that's understandable I guess - bullshit on behalf of the law - but understandable for the cop's position.

end aimless rant.

as a young driver myself (had my license since jan 28 2009), from what i have seen and experienced first hand, i should quit driving whilst i'm ahead...

examples:
-people cutting me off (when a bus in front of you is stopping and i'm in the other lane still speeding along you're a fukwit to try get through the little gap between the bus and me and then expect to speed up to 60km/h when your down to 20 in less than a second)
-people cutting me off on purpose (when i'm on the main highway and you're merging into my lane dont speed up to 80km/h and try beat me to it, fukin malaysian taxi driver, who then started hitting the brakes in front of me ****)
-people turning into my lane when I'M RIGHT NEXT TO THEM! (thankgod for the loud horn!)
-people trying to U turns and getting stuck on the islands (a woman however...)
-L platers not giving way or not even realising i am next to them or behind them
-people, when the light turns green, reverse towards me to try change lane (WHAT THE FUK? asians)
-people totally just speeding to overtake me and then slamming the brakes on because they're overtaking around a corner and dont see the car in the other lane til its late (too many times on long trips)
people who have a go at me because the cars are packed up and the guy behind me cant get into the turning lane (USE YOUR INDICATOR SO I CAN SEE YOU WANT TO TURN, otherwise i wont move forward to try let you through! asians)
people driving in the middle of a 2 lane road (a lot)
people swerving all of the place (drunk probably)
people who go 10-20km/h slower then the speed limit in the right lane (sigh)
people with shit like matresses strapped to the roof of the car and the matress was bending over itself from catching wind
people having shit fall out of the back of their car (nearly hit a milk crate today, other day saw a truck lose a whole sheet of gyprock out the back and it just hit the ground and turned to dust at speed)
people with tail lights that dont work (i get out of the car and tell them, "oh yeah i know they're broken, but no cops pulled me over yet", electrician in a van yesterday)
people with cars that are missing doors (i shit you not)
people in front of me who constantly have the brake light on because of tailgating the person in front, geez

and so so much more

every day is like a battlefield here, so many shit head drivers, especially P platers (yes i am one myself, but i dont go speeding and flogging my car around every single corner and having it lowered and a massive zort and body kit)

i honestly wonder to myself, why the hell am i driving?

EDIT: forgot to add to the list, the one i possibly hate the most...
PEOPLE THAT SPEED UP FROM 110 TO 120 WHILST I'M TRYING TO OVERTAKE THEM IN THE OVERTAKING LANE ON HIGHWAYS! for fuk sake, it says STAY IN THE LEFT LANE IF NOT OVER TAKING! if i want to over take you, dont go from 110 on the highway to 120, i want to over take you FFS!

Last edited by a moderator:
People speed up all the time in OT lanes. I think it's because they get scared driving in single lane roads, once it opens up into 2 nice wide lanes they feel comfortable and stand on it. Then they slow back down once the OT lane ends. used to be okay in my V6 D40, used to get around anyone no worries, but the D22 doesn't have the same legs unfortunately.

All of us people who live in metro areas get so used to multi lane freeways that we forget how to drive on single lane highways. Some of us cope with the scenario better than others.....

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, by reading all that you are asking me to install my illegal standard suspension setup back on because that would pass roadworthy, not, shocks were rooted, torsion bars had no torsion left, car handled like a pig and was unroadworthy with the standard old suspension that was on the car.
Im not having a go at anyone, i dont hold grudges, i know my car is safer now than it was a few years ago and once again it has been proven, so that should be piece of mind to you if you think its not safe, and for everyone else if you think my car is unroadworthy because of a piece of paper i dont have, then please state that my car is unroadworthy because it does not have a piece of paper not because it is not safe, because it has passed that inspection.
For all your information my car is covered by insurance, thats why i pay through the roof for what i have done, if it was engineer approved it would be cheaper but because it was a bolt on kit insurance has still covered me, to them because it bolts on it doesnt matter if its a coil conversion kit or torsion bar susp type, there both suspension types and both fit to the factory chassis rails.
Yes its covered please dont try and tell me now its not, iv had lengthy in office discussion with insurance before because of my association with my other sports cars with tracks and road events with what is covered or not. Unroadworthy is not an issue, try tell me different, my misses car was written off by an unroadworthy vehicle while she was pregnant with my child, long story short it was deemed her fault, didnt matter other guy had caused it and had no insurance or rego.
If you dont want to have a discussion with me on this forum because you think im a hoon, fair enough, no grudges held, thats what you want but if you think il talk to you because i bought a piece of paper to satisfy you, then thats another thing!
Impound my car il have it back the next day with a piece of paper, no different to what it is or was a day earlier. Its not a hoon car or unroadworthy just unpaperoadworthy!

Power to the people.
OK seeing that i finally started working again and funds are coming in im going to make you guys happy and get that (damn fricken expensive sonofab*tch) piece of paper which lets me drive my car LEGALLY.
BUT FIRST, there always is a first huh, im going to get my car 4wd capable and ready and THEN engineer it to make sure nothing hinders with the report cos the rear is going to be a modified diff.
OK hugs and kisses xxx

Cheers.

Power to the people.
OK seeing that i finally started working again and funds are coming in im going to make you guys happy and get that (damn fricken expensive sonofab*tch) piece of paper which lets me drive my car LEGALLY.
BUT FIRST, there always is a first huh, im going to get my car 4wd capable and ready and THEN engineer it to make sure nothing hinders with the report cos the rear is going to be a modified diff.
OK hugs and kisses xxx

Cheers.

Awwww now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I wasn't entering into your debate so imagine just how much those who were are feeling right now. My bet is some of them are just too chuffed to comment. :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back