VIC high country - knowledge needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

Just wanting to ask those in the know. We are leaving September 13 to head to Victoria with two plans in place.

Plan 1:

Great ocean road, grampians, halls gap, Portland, wypperfield and Murray sunset parks.

Plan 2:

High country.

I am wanting to know is the high country accessible that time of year? We want to do man from snowy river hut, Craig's hut, etc etc. I don't want to waste time there if the good bits are closed. So is it worth going high country that time of year or not?

Any info appreciated.

Mitch

Wrong time of year for the best of the High Country.
But places like Walhalla, Woodspoint, Licola and Dargo are still worth visitng.

Can you access Craig's hut during September/October?

From what I can tell the main tracks are open, and the smaller tracks close?

Wrong time of year for the best of the High Country.
But places like Walhalla, Woodspoint, Licola and Dargo are still worth visitng.

Woodspoint is a top spot any time of year. Big River State Forest great spot. Mate has a cabin in at Enoch's Point. Never a bad weekend has been had there by anyone.

i would just check with the local council or parks and Wild life websites or call the hot lines, i have found them very helpful in the past especially via phone. Take chains and im sure most would be open unless there has been a large dump of snow.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Going to do option 1, not worth trip all the way from qld to not see best parts of high country

True that,do more research and save it for later,the crew i go with like to do spring and autum up to the qbw.
Way to many flies in summer,unless you tour all day and camp at night.

Latest posts

Back