What battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merchant

Reaction score
Hi all,

It started to get a bit cold in Perth this week and the D40 is struggling to crank over in the mornings.

Not wanting to get caught out with a flat battery I tested it this morning with the ambient temperature at about 8deg. I used the min/max feature on the multimeter and after starting it a few times the battery voltage sat at about 7.2-8.6 volts when cranking. Not good.

So i think it's time for a new battery.

Any thoughts on what I should go for? Need to buy today.

I was gonna put in a new Century Battery once the factory units showed there days. Century Super High Performance 4wd unit. N70zz size to fil out the space provided

I would never crank an engine off an expensive gel battery. Those shitty things in the power packs I couldn't give a stuff about, but fizzing the gel destroys the battery.

For the starter, you could throw $ at it and buy the ultimate Optima D31A yellow top 900CCA 75Ah spiral wound AGM ($550 in Autobahn, but much cheaper @ Rays Outdoors and elsewhere) but really if you can get something like Nissan supply for cheaper (70-odd AH, 770CCA in mine) then why not.

The big advantage in something like the Optima battery is that they're really hard to kill. Flatten them to zero volts and just charge 'em up again. Got a 25A charger? No drama. Throw a 40A charger at it and fully charge it in 2 hours = no worries. Flatten it again, no drama. It's a bloody beast of a battery - designed for military use.

I got 5 years out of the OEM battery and most of that time the vehicle was parked outside and I lived in Queanbeyan which gets pretty bloody cold during the winter months and therefore tough on a battery. I decided to replace with the same battery and am hoping to get at least 5 years again but may well get longer now I live on the coast. The Nissan N70ZZ was on par with others at $221.

Cold what Cold

I got 5 years out of the OEM battery and most of that time the vehicle was parked outside and I lived in Queanbeyan which gets pretty bloody cold during the winter months and therefore tough on a battery. I decided to replace with the same battery and am hoping to get at least 5 years again but may well get longer now I live on the coast. The Nissan N70ZZ was on par with others at $221.

Yeah I think starting our trucks in -5 during winter nearly every day in July is a test for any battery what was it -7 yesterday. Hope the coast has been good for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back