Death from heatwaves to rise, "Without Emission cuts"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

AUSTRALIAN death rates from climate change-related heatwaves will climb steadily this century unless greenhouse emissions are sharply cut, the most comprehensive national report into global warming and health has found.

The Australian Climate Commission study, endorsed by health groups including the Australian Medical Association and the nurses' federation, shows heat-related death rates could rise to between 8000 and 11,000 people per year by the end of the century, from a base figure of just under 6000 in 1990.

The death toll from extreme weather events is also expected to rise steadily in coming decades, even as emergency responses improve, the report said.

''Over the last few years, most of the climate-change discussion has been about the economic impacts, or the impacts on iconic places like the Great Barrier Reef or vulnerable species,'' said the report's co-author, Tony McMichael, of the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health. ''We should also be concerned about the impact on another important species - humans. What climate change is already doing is weakening the natural life-support system we need to survive.''

The data shows the overall weather-related death rate for people in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania could hold steady, or even decrease slightly due to a drop in the number of cold-related deaths. But this would be more than offset by much-higher death rates in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia.

The estimates are based on data from the known spikes in hospital admissions and deaths in hot weather and projections from the CSIRO and the Bureau of Meteorology about warming in different parts of the country.

When Melbourne endured three days with temperatures above 43 degrees in 2009, 980 people died - 374 more than the average number - and in the 2004 Brisbane heatwave, the average rate of death rose 23 per cent.

Children, the elderly, people who work outdoors and those on low incomes are statistically more likely to die due to heat, the report said. While people in rural areas generally had less access to immediate medical help, people in cities usually endured temperatures one to three degrees higher due to the ''urban heat island'' effect, under which reflective surfaces tend to contain heat.

''This is intended as an early warning of practical changes that will be needed in preparedness, in funding and disaster recovery,'' Professor McMichael said.

The head of the commission, Tim Flannery, said the report was not intended to alarm people but to give them the best information on which to plan, fund and organise healthcare.

''The Climate Commission has only produced two reports so far and they have been in response to the public's need to know,'' Professor Flannery said.

''What we have found, doing our job and travelling around Australia to talk to a wide range of people, was that the public knowledge about health risks was actually very low, compared to knowledge about some other areas of climate change.''

Prominent Australian healthcare groups and GPs endorsed the report, including former Australians of the Year Fiona Stanley and Peter Doherty. A delegation of Australian doctors is travelling to the United Nations climate-change conference in Durban this week, to argue human health should be central to discussions.

Read more: Deaths from heatwaves to rise 'without emission cuts'

Thats because we'll be all !@#$%^&, our air con will cost $50 a day to run, because of the "Carbon Tax".

Way to go, all you wanker Labour sellouts.

Thats because we'll be all !@#$%^&, our air con will cost $50 a day to run, because of the "Carbon Tax".

Way to go, all you wanker Labour sellouts.

Dave...yes our coolers will be costly to run,
but,
this story is about cutting greenhouse emmissions that are causing global warming and related deaths due to it.

He like a lot of others just doesn't like bloody labor. God help us if they somehow stay on into the next term.

I reckon it's like a school yard crush, he actually loves Julia and wants to go out with her but shows off in front of his mates by picking on her.

I still remember when I was 8-10 and we got weeks of 42 degree days in Singleton.

We haven't had those temperatures in years.

All of a sudden it gets hot and we are use to air cons and it "Must be Ckimate Change".

We have big storms which we haven't seen in years and it "Must be Climate Change".

I was brought up in Labour house hold.

Those morons will never get my vote agon.

Does Gillard and Co care about the Australian people ? No, not at all. They are in it for themselves.

The Carbon Tax proved that. The Pokie reforms proved that and they're giving into everything the Greens want.

If they had backbones, they would call an election because they have morals.

Peter Garret bags the US in Midnight Oil - US Forces - YouTube

Then applauds when Gillard annouces the deal. Is this guy genuine ? He cant even make up his mind.

Say we all go to Battery operated cars, Where is the Goverment going to get there taxes on Petrol/Diesel ?

I still remember when I was 8-10 and we got weeks of 42 degree days in Singleton.

We haven't had those temperatures in years.

All of a sudden it gets hot and we are use to air cons and it "Must be Ckimate Change".

We have big storms which we haven't seen in years and it "Must be Climate Change".

I was brought up in Labour house hold.

Those morons will never get my vote agon.

Does Gillard and Co care about the Australian people ? No, not at all. They are in it for themselves.

The Carbon Tax proved that. The Pokie reforms proved that and they're giving into everything the Greens want.

Peter Garret bags the US in Midnight Oil - US Forces - YouTube

Then applauds when Gillard annouces the deal. Is this guy genuine ? He cant even make up his mind.

Say we all go to Battery operated cars, Where is the Goverment going to get there taxes on Petrol/Diesel ?

But Dave,
the rise in temps are averages taken over the decades of recordings and not just taken from 10 yearly 45 degree days 3 or 4 days in a row.

The way I see it political talk is about as interesting as football talk. At the end of the day the team that's winning is going to be shit canned by the opposition for cheating, playing unfair or even better and the fans are too blind too see that the same shit would be happening if the roles were reversed, but I do like feeding Dave!!

Anyone else remember the other bullshit theory's these "Experts" have come up with ?

There was one on a Alien invasion due to Climate change.

This planet has survived alot more then we have thrown at it.

Krafty, I despise that redheaded bitch and that ear piercing voice..

Krafty, I despise that redheaded bitch and that ear piercing voice..

All I hear is "Julia I want a date" while you are laughing with your mates about the best put down you've come up with for the day :eviltongue:

Anyone else remember the other bullshit theory's these "Experts" have come up with ?

There was one on a Alien invasion due to Climate change.

:big_smile: thats gotta be something you read after a few quiet cones at home while on google.

Me I've seen the computer simulations (and computing is what I've done since the early 80's) and I'm convinced that climate change is a real effect.

However that's nothing to do with the carbon tax we've been lumbered with which will have zero effect on climate change one way or another.

Realistically if climate change continues to happen then nothing 1st world countries can do will make much if any difference since any carbon reductions will be swamped by increasing outputs in increasingly industialised 3rd world economies.

So... party up and enjoy ourselves while we still can I reckon :)

I am not denying Climate Change. As it will always happen.

I just dont believe we can speed it up.

How many Volcano's erupt every year ?

Naah, the price rise is because the pollies screwed the electrical infrastructure replacement funds. A microscopic icing of carbon tax is SFA in the picture.

As to cost, lets use 50c/Kwhr* x 24 (a really hot full day) is $12 x power of aircon/1K.

So a 2Kwh would cost $24/day and a 4Kwh aircon would cost $48/day.

*I understand peak on smart meters is about 30c now and I've read reports that this infrastructure bill will cause electricty price (in NSW0 to rise to 50 or 60c/kwhr.

The Australian voting public gets the government they deserve. Both sides can bugger all for the public or for he country as a hole.

Bullshit. Once you put them in, they have the mandate for whatever they like. Tony Abbott can whine all he likes but he really doesn't want a election as he as no policies and is just as much a cracked record as Julia Gillard.

For starters, GST on all the solar panels you have to buy and have installed on your roof as they won't build any more coal fired power stations to generate the electricity for recharging car batteries.

Then they can just impose it on electricity supplies.

Latest posts

Back