Death from heatwaves to rise, "Without Emission cuts"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iceland volcano Katla sparks global disaster fears
More than 500 tremors detected at volcano Katla
An eruption could cause catastrophic flooding
Eruption could also disrupt air travel

The last major eruption at the volcano was in 1918, and caused such a large glacier meltdown that icebergs were swept into the ocean.

A HUGE Icelandic volcano long overdue for an eruption is showing signs of activity that could disrupt air traffic, experts reported.

There have been more than 500 tremors at Katla in the south of the country in just the last month.
An increase in activity at the site since July has also been causing concern among volcano experts.

The last major eruption at the volcano was in 1918, and caused such a large glacier meltdown that icebergs were swept into the ocean by resulting floods.

Significant activity at Katla -- which has a huge 6.2 mile (10 km) crater -- usually occurs every 40 to 80 years.It is feared when it does eventually erupt, it could be the most powerful volcano activity the country has seen in almost a century.

Catastrophic flooding could result as the frozen surface of the volcano melts, sending vast amounts of water into the Atlantic Ocean.
Volcano expert Andy Hooper from Delft University said that while there had been increased activity at the site, it was difficult to predict if and when Katla would erupt.

However, he said that the implications for Iceland if an eruption did occur
would be "major."
"Because of the glacier on top, massive amounts of ice would melt, washing away the roads.
"There could also be a big ash fallout on people living in the area and that will affect the farms.
"There could be big implications for people there.
"In terms of the rest of the world, it really depends on the weather at the time of the eruption.

If Katla erupts, it will erupt higher (than recent volcanoes) and that means the ash will stay around longer -- that could impact on air traffic."
A statement on Iceland's Met Office website warned there was no imminent threat but that "given the heightened levels of seismic activity, the situation might change abruptly."
In 2010, the eruptions at Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano disrupted air traffic for weeks, affecting hundreds of thousands of travellers.

Read more: Iceland volcano Katla sparks global disaster fears | News.com.au

Must be due to Climate Change.

Volcano's are constantly erupting. Mostly under the sea though.

Just like I dont go/agree for Ray Evan's no 9 claim for one,

I believe nuclear is the only way forward for power gen on the massive scale needed to power the worlds needs and stop the use of fossil fuels,
tho what to do with the waste is the real issue on that front, and it may well not be an issue when you look at the damage the use of fossil fuels does to the planet.

but also think everyone should have solar panel generation on their roof's to 'ease the load' on the system.

Easy way to get rid of the nuclear waste:

1) research new forms of fission/fusion.

2) Utilise the commercial entry into space travel and load the spent fuel onto pods that go up with the commercial rockets, which are jettisoned into LEO and then boosted up out of Earth's gravity well and allowed to fall into the Sun.

As for solar panels - it'd be a bloody good idea if someone grabbed the patents off BP and made the things more efficient first, then stopped the asshole manufacturers and suppliers from raping people to own a single panel.

And what the hell is this $3,000 for a bloody solar regulator? Theft, I call it.

Easy way to get rid of the nuclear waste:

1) research new forms of fission/fusion.

2) Utilise the commercial entry into space travel and load the spent fuel onto pods that go up with the commercial rockets, which are jettisoned into LEO and then boosted up out of Earth's gravity well and allowed to fall into the Sun.

As for solar panels - it'd be a bloody good idea if someone grabbed the patents off BP and made the things more efficient first, then stopped the asshole manufacturers and suppliers from raping people to own a single panel.

And what the hell is this $3,000 for a bloody solar regulator? Theft, I call it.
Blasting nuclear wast into space is a no go, good idea in a way but if it fails to reach orbit. It would be a major ecological disaster, like none other.
I'm a bit of greenie myself and even I believe that nuclear power is a viable option. Good stop gap measure until we crack fusion. However if we go down the nuclear road we should embrace it. We mine it, so lets enrich it (value add), if we export it we only export the finished product and by the way we want the waste back or they don't get anymore and you charge to buy it back and dispose of it. That way you know it's not going into weapons. In other words we control the loop and make a shit load of cash. Of course waste is the big issue but when you look at it we are one of the most sparsely populated countries on earth. We are geologicaly stable and importantly politically stable. The only other places to store this stuff reasonably safely maybe the frozen back blocks of Canada or perhaps Siberia.
Nuclear power station in this country would be good. Thing is they have to be A; near a huge source of water in this country that's the sea and B; near the existing grid and that is where the NIMBY factor comes in. We would also need the Frogs, Yanks or even the Chinesse to show us how to build one.

On solar panels- there great in way it is fusion, Using that big fusion reactor in the sky:) Have a 3Kw ouput system here and run a credit on the bill everytime.

My 2c, I read somewhere that opinion is what we have when we don't have all the facts!
eg. Tim Flannery is of the opinion that he's the man. Fact, he's paid to think that! Read what you will into that.

Cheers Brad

My 2c, I read somewhere that opinion is what we have when we don't have all the facts!
eg. Tim Flannery is of the opinion that he's the man. Fact, he's paid to think that! Read what you will into that.

Cheers Brad

Opinion is also defined..."an evaluation or judgment given by an expert",

will one ever have all the facts?

so why not tell us all how you want us to read that, don't be a fence sitter,

if we dont have all the facts, i presume you do...enlighten us.

i dont think anyone here claims to be an expert on the subject, well maybe two here on this thread might seem to think so given their short posts.
And anyways, whats the harm...its just posts in a small forum community chewing the fat, we are not the government handing out new laws.

Just my bad humor Kranken, I was calling Flannery a wanker!
Ain't nothing wrong with fence sitting, though I have made my feelings clear about alarmist hysterical's before.

Cheers Brad

Sent from Brad's padded cell using Forum Runner

Just my bad humor Kranken, I was calling Flannery a wanker!
Ain't nothing wrong with fence sitting, though I have made my feelings clear about alarmist hysterical's before.

Cheers Brad

Sent from Brad's padded cell using Forum Runner

Plumber humour....
no wucken furries.....understood

Oooooo, are you a folder?

WOOSH

<I refer to all "computers" a boxen. Mainly because they invent a new label for it every so often, bullshit mainly. when you've been around the thingas since they had paddle pop sticks and flying saucers, you get that way> >

Latest posts

Back