Monster Rides ReKon Suspension for Navara D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good............. just WAY to expensive for front and rear shocks $1800 with no springs!!!! YOUR'E CRACKING JOKES!!! if the prices were realistic i would put the front adjustable shocks in tomorrow.

I dont expect the price to be the same as a standard 2inch lift set but $1800 WOW!!
you can now buy Bilstein adjustable for around $300, i just could never justify the massive difference in price..........
The other point is you could buy a calmini 5" kit for not much more and the CV's would be perfect..

This is the "SPECIAL INTRO PRICE" what will be the RRP?? that will be scary

Last edited:
that price is with front springs and i just got extended shackles for the rear... i just got mine back today put the 3 inch lift from monster rides and 50 mm body lift sits way higher now huge difference and so much better now offroad went out strait after i got it back now its covered in mud i also got mickey T MTZ's 285's like the other cars above and its unstoppable!!

They are expensive shocks. What have you set for the bump/rebound? Can you post up the dyno charts?

looks good........ just WAY to expensive for front and rear shocks $1800 with no springs!!!! YOUR'E CRACKING JOKES!!! if the prices were realistic i would put the front adjustable shocks in tomorrow.

I dont expect the price to be the same as a standard 2inch lift set but $1800 WOW!!
you can now buy Bilstein adjustable for around $300, i just could never justify the massive difference in price......
The other point is you could buy a calmini 5" kit for not much more and the CV's would be perfect.

Nathan,

I appreciate your comments and your crystal clear opinions!

Here is some info for you to consider:

1. The price is the price. If it's too expensive for you then it's really simple... Don't buy them!

2. Are they really that expensive?

Lets consider what you get for $1800 delivered:

A. Assembled front coilovers ready to bolt in.
So you get the shock body, the coil of your choice and the coil top hats already assembled.

Considering you don't have to pull your old coilover apart to get the coil top hat to re-use you save on labour costs from your mechanic or from buying/borrowing a set of coil compressors, and it's a shitload more convenient.

B. These are a long travel front coilover with a threaded body, so they are height adjustable.
So you can dial in the perfect amount of lift to suit your exact needs between 2" and 4".

They have valving and shock set up which we feel is a cut above the rest, but time will tell as people who buy them report on the ride quality and wheel travel.

C. Long Travel rear shocks with the our specific valving and piston, not generic stuff a lot of companies run with.
These shocks ride really nice.

We put a lot of time, energy and money into the development of our suspension and the success we have had with the Hilux gear is testament to our capabilities and product quality. Our Hilux front Coilovers are $1495 a set, and rear shocks $595. We sell a lot of them.

We think outside the box so to speak and as such innovate with suspension systems, rather than "lift kits".

Other companies sell their assembled struts for $800 - $1000 plus delivery. They do not feature a threaded body and feature a 2" static/fixed lift. Some do feature dampening adjustment though.
With these static/fixed lifts you have no way to adjust them to regain your lost lift as the coils sag other than removing the coilover and replacing the coil, or adding a strut spacer or coil spacer. Far from ideal.

Our coilovers offer 2-4" of adjustable height, so as the coil settles and sags a little over time you can wind on a little more lift to maintain your preferred level of lift for a little longer until the coil needs replacing.

All for $1800 delivered.

While I agree it isn't cheap, it isn't cheap and nasty either.
It's a quality product with a lot of R&D and the results will speak for themselves for those who install it.

So I ask when you consider the features we have to offer perhaps it isn't that expensive?

No, we don't include a leaf spring in that package price.
Leaf springs are a crucial part of the ride quality and rear wheel travel and the only leafs we recommend with our kits are the Sax product. Not cheap, but generally in this world you get what you pay for.
We could include a re-badged cheap and nasty set of leafs and brand them as whatever and sell the kit for $2100 and tell you all how good they are. But I'd rather not run with the smoke and mirrors show a lot of companies do with leaf springs...

We have used Tough Dog, EFS and Dobinsons leaf springs in the past and have found them all to be a good quality leaf spring for a fair price, so we recommend those if you don't have the budget or want for the Sax.

Plus everyone's individual needs are different on the rear, so it is best to look at each individual truck and assess what that customer actually needs.

Compared to stuff you can import form the US like Bilsteins perhaps our gear is expensive.
But there is no local warranty or support for those products from the US.

In these recent times of $1 AUD to $1 USD parity everything here seems expensive. Not much we can do about that.

Questions on the Bilsteins you mentioned:

1. So the price you mentioned of $300 for the Bilstein adjustable is that a landed price?
2. Is that a adjustable height via C spanner on the coil seat?
3. Is that for a pair of front shocks or one?
4. Does it come with a coil?
5. Coil top hat?
6. Assembled?
7. How much are the rear shocks?
8. Delivery?
9. Import duty and GST if over $1000 for the complete set up

Not being a smart ass, I just want to compare apples with apples.

You mention that you can buy a Calmini kit for a bit more than our price and the CV's will be perfect.
Ok...
These guys have it for $3500, with rear shocks and front coilover 5" extensions...

http://www.4x4superstore.com.au/p/4...froad-for-nissan-navara-d40-frontier-550.html

Maybe it is available elsewhere cheaper, not sure. Probably is if you look hard enough.
No doubt out of the US it is much cheaper.
But you still have to get it here, and pay the import duty and GST.

Do you plan to go 4Wding with a Calmini equipped Navara?
Do you value clearance under your front diff?
What about wheel travel?

The most important things to maintain on an IFS vehicle if you plan on doing and real 4x4ing, rather than mall crawling is:
A. Front end clearance
B. CV angle (Or lack thereof)
C. Wheel travel

Otherwise you'll be smashing your front end on everything you try to navigate, break CV's and lift wheels everywhere losing traction and momentum due to lack of down travel.

A 5" Calmini kit gives away up to 5" of clearance at the front end as it is a "drop bracket" kit. I notice the newer version of the kit tapers the front drop bracket up in the middle section to gain some clearance back, so maybe it's around 3" in the middle.

These images should explain what I mean:

Old kit with both front and rear drop brackets holding a full 5" across the whole bracket profile:

NP17500fs1.jpg

And the newer version with tapered front drop bracket:

CalminiKitExplanation.png

These type of kits serve a purpose and I'm not here to knock anyone's set up or another companies gear. Calmini make good stuff and we have a lot of respect for their products and fabrication.

But the simple fact is that if you take a stock truck and fit it with our Rekon kit at 3", and another stock truck and fit it with a Calmini kit we will have 6-8" (give or take due to front bracket tapering) more clearance up front, and much better wheel travel, as we have more down travel with our coilovers than the standard suspension.
Same wheels and tyres obviously in this comparison.

Why?

We add 3" of lift, so we gain 3" of clearance under the front crossmember.
Drop bracket kits lower the clearance by 3-5" by adding 3-5" of brackets under the front crossmember.
Total difference is 6-8" depending if the Calmini kit is clearanced in the middle section like in the above photos.

Yes you can fit lifted coilovers to the Calmini set up, but that adds more expense and you will still have less clearance than a stock or Rekon lifted truck without the drop brackets.

The basic benefit of these drop bracket kits is to fit bigger tyres.
But even if you fit 35" tyres on a Calmini kit, you will still have more clearance on 31" tyres with stock suspension.

So again Nathan with all due respect I just ask you to re-consider your points on value for money and also what different suspension systems actually achieve and have to offer.

If it is purely a comparison on price, well yes we lose miserably.

It is very important to compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges.

But if it is a comparison on other factors that actually effect on and offroad performance I am confident our kit will come out on top.

We set out to make suspension systems that have the following outcomes:

1. More wheel travel
2. More clearance
3. Good wheel alignment ability
4. Strength, durability and protection
5. Great ride quality and ability to tackle all types of terrain.

This Navara D40 Rekon kit is still a work in progress, once we finish the UCA's and bash plates the complete kit will certainly be something completely different from an Australian company.

Is our kit expensive? Maybe.
I guess it all depends on what you value, and what value you see in the components we have for sale.

As you can see by the amount of time it has taken us to get this kit to market we aren't a company who rushes stuff just to get it out into the market place to make quick $$$.

Bottom line for us is that we are running a business and not a charity.

We spend our time and money to develop products and sell them for a fair price.
We support our products with a 2 year unlimited kilometer warranty and pride ourselves on good customer service, quality products and no bullshit.
If our gear breaks, fails or we make a mistake we put our hands up and fix it, no questions asked. Our reputation in +05 Hilux circles is excellent and we hope to build the same reputation with the Navara and Pathfinder guys as well.

Sorry for the long winded reply to your post and questions, I just felt it was important to take the time to address all of your points and explain where we are coming from and what we are trying to achieve.

Thanks
Matt

Well done Matt, i do think you have clarified a lot of points that people need to consider when lifting their ute. I reckon your gear looks top notch, not that i can afford it at the moment. Ill be looking at your products when the time comes to do a full overhaul in the next couple of years, and going by this it should be well and truly tried and tested by then. Good luck with it all.

Hi Matt,

How do you find rear wheel travel with the Sax leafs compared to efs, tough dog etc?

By the sounds of it, they improve ride quality, but do they restrict up and down travel in comparison?

Cheers Pete

Well guys i probably should do an update. As you know ihave the MR kit in the nav. I recently got the adjustable fronts and put them in muself and set them a touch over 3 inch. So far has handled awsome. On and offroad. Good wheel travel and good handling. As for the rear i removed the one inch block and stock springs an replaced with the sax 3sds 2 inch lifyed spring an buds drop shackles. Im still running the Rekon shocks in the rear. The rear is awsome. Awsome flex and works perfect. Im still currently tweaking the rear. I need new brake lines in order to stop them braking lol. I will also play around with the springs to get more travel and see i i can get some longer shocks from matt. Cheers guys

Yesterday 06:09 PM
COLOR="Black"]nathand22 looks good............. just WAY to expensive for front and rear shocks $1800 with no springs!!!! YOUR'E CRACKING JOKES!!! if the prices were realistic i would put the front adjustable shocks in tomorrow.

you can now buy Bilstein adjustable for around $300, i just could never justify the massive difference in price..........
The other point is you could buy a calmini 5" kit for not much more and the CV's would be perfect..

Wow what a great response Matt. (also might be the quickest in this threads history)

Can i just say that I STAND CORRECTED as you can see in my post i thought that price was with no coil springs, or anything but 2 x front and 2 x rear shocks.
I now realise that is not the case,

I would also like to add, that i agree with most of what you have said, and there is no disputing that clearance and wheel travel are important if you want to do more challenging off road work, Especially RAMP OVER, APPROACH AND DEPARTURE.
However i think that the massive importance you putting on clearance under the front diff is a little over the top.
Considering if you clear on the front but hit the rear pumkin on the obstacle the front missed and get hung up........ whats the difference???

I also own an old solid axle Hilux and the only way i can get the big old pumkin higher is with Rubber, so i guess im just use to driving so i dont go bashing my front diff into everything.

like i said in my first post your gear looks GREAT!!
I also think it most defiantly has a place in the market, im sure you will sell heaps of kits.

Here is a link to a thread where i first saw the Bilstein shocks, as you will see i asked the owner how much and he replied $280 delivered.
Now i have no reason to doubt him and i have not called around to verify his statement....

My cousin just had a set of these installed on his "07" HILUX by dobinsons and loves them had tough dog , but says these shit on them for ride and flex not to mention the extra lift.

As im really happy with how the rear of My D40 works i am only looking to level up the the ute and have the ability to run 33's, can i ask.........

So how much are just the shocks and coil top hats alone??

And can someone like me use my coils on your shocks??

Cheers,
Nathan.

D40 Rekon Kit installed

Gday,

just thought I would post up my experiences so far with Monster Rides and the Rekon kit for the D40. Its a 2011 ST with 40,000km on the clock and suspension wise was stock as a rock, the rear leafs were sagging and front struts leaking oil and in general the ride was uncomefortable. After months of research on forums, talking to people and gathering quotes I called Matt at Monster Rides. After about 5 minutes on the phone it was obvious that this was the best VALUE for money and would tick all the boxes I needed. I say value for money because some people get the word "cheap" and "value" mixed up, yes it may be slightly more expensive than some generic brand out there but the benefits are obvious.

So I ordered the Rekon Kit and SAX 2" lifted leafs and installed it myself. The rear came up about 3.5 inches so once the front struts were installed it was simply a matter of grabbing the supplied C spanner and winding the front up to desired height. Obviously the rear came up so much because the standard springs were shagged. I drove it around for a couple days to let the front settle, wound it up some more and got a wheel alignment done. Its as easy as that. Overall it came up 2.75 inches and man is it nice to drive now. Roads I used to drive nearly every day that shook the fillings from my teeth are no problem. Off road is where it really shines however. Approach angles are vastly improved, obviously ground clearance is much better but the way it keeps all 4 on the deck and trucking on with great flex just keeps impressing me.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch but it isnt, im a diesel mechanic by trade and I know good product when I see/ test it and this is the ducks nuts.

Glen.

Attachments

• Navara 1.jpg
    Navara 1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1957[1].jpg
    IMG_1957[1].jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1960[1].jpg
    IMG_1960[1].jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1963[1].jpg
    IMG_1963[1].jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 417
Well done Matt, i do think you have clarified a lot of points that people need to consider when lifting their ute. I reckon your gear looks top notch, not that i can afford it at the moment. Ill be looking at your products when the time comes to do a full overhaul in the next couple of years, and going by this it should be well and truly tried and tested by then. Good luck with it all.

Thanks Morticus, appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

We really think it is important to explain all the different facets of suspension system design and I guess what we do that is different from other companies.
We build high end/premium products that are suited to guys who want the best from their trucks.

We are enjoying the development on the D40 as the factory set up has it's limitations, so we are challenged to design something that can take it to the next level.

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

How do you find rear wheel travel with the Sax leafs compared to efs, tough dog etc?

By the sounds of it, they improve ride quality, but do they restrict up and down travel in comparison?

Cheers Pete

Hey Pete,

The rear wheel travel with the Sax leafs is fantastic. The pre-load which the third stage puts on the first stage actually helps the leaf pack to flex down.
It also acts a a bit like a swaybar with that constant force on the pack from the top. We have not seen any difference in up travel so far either.

At the end of the day they are still leaf springs, and while the ride quality is markedly improved they will never ride like coils or an IRS... but they ride is far better than I have ever experienced from any other leaf spring.

Thanks
Matt

Wow what a great response Matt. (also might be the quickest in this threads history)

Can i just say that I STAND CORRECTED as you can see in my post i thought that price was with no coil springs, or anything but 2 x front and 2 x rear shocks.
I now realise that is not the case,

I would also like to add, that i agree with most of what you have said, and there is no disputing that clearance and wheel travel are important if you want to do more challenging off road work, Especially RAMP OVER, APPROACH AND DEPARTURE.
However i think that the massive importance you putting on clearance under the front diff is a little over the top.
Considering if you clear on the front but hit the rear pumkin on the obstacle the front missed and get hung up........ whats the difference???

I also own an old solid axle Hilux and the only way i can get the big old pumkin higher is with Rubber, so i guess im just use to driving so i dont go bashing my front diff into everything.

like i said in my first post your gear looks GREAT!!
I also think it most defiantly has a place in the market, im sure you will sell heaps of kits.

Here is a link to a thread where i first saw the Bilstein shocks, as you will see i asked the owner how much and he replied $280 delivered.
Now i have no reason to doubt him and i have not called around to verify his statement....

My cousin just had a set of these installed on his "07" HILUX by dobinsons and loves them had tough dog , but says these shit on them for ride and flex not to mention the extra lift.

As im really happy with how the rear of My D40 works i am only looking to level up the the ute and have the ability to run 33's, can i ask.........

Cheers,
Nathan.

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for your reply and correction. I had actually wondered in your first post whether you were referring to the coils or leafs that were missing?
I went with coils but clearly it was a bit of a mix up.
No harm done, I appreciate your honesty and clarification.
Cheers

So back to the discussion on all things suspension.

Our main focus other than putting extra clearance under the front diff, is the superior valving our coilovers have that allows great on road handleing and keeps all wheels on the ground more often when offroad. Thats our main focus, on road and offroad handeling.

But it's more about total front end clearance rather than just the front diff. For example with the Hilux a lot of our guys have built their own ultra high clearance front bash plates by removing or cutting the front radiator support brackets and trying to get every available millimeter of clearance up front.

Why do you say that if you clear the front you will hit the rear diff pumpkin on the obstacle? That is not always the case as you can often steer and re-position the rear after you clear the front.
Plus it's the diff pumpkin itself which is the low hanging part, along with the bottom of the u-bolts... though u-bolt flip kits can help with that.
With decent rear diff protection skids the chances of damage and getting hung up on the rear is less than the front in my opinion. Much easier to drag your rear over something than smash part of the front end on it.

With a D40 even more so with the alloy front diff which is known to be a possible weak component. And again further worsened with the lack of aftermarket diff ratio's available for D40's when fitting bigger rubber, so your gearing is worse and you put more strain on your drivetrain.

I guess our point of view is that we want maximum protection and clearance everywhere on the truck. Couple this with maximum wheel travel and you have a recipe for a more capable truck.

There certainly is a art to driving IFS vehicles. CV preservation is paramount so picking the right lines and having a restrained right foot is paramount!

With the extra down travel we get with our kits and the emphasis on clearance we keep more wheels on the ground with less chance of hang ups. This means more uninterrupted momentum and forward movement.

So you can drive tracks and known obstacles in a slower and more controlled manner which means less chance of damage to your truck, and the far less track/terrain damage and degradation which benefits all wheelers and walkers in our beautiful Australian environment.

You will also use you lockers and winch less, or get recovered less!!

Sorry to keep going back to Hilux's, but it is the vehicle that we have the most experience with to date. Our Rekon equipped trucks with lockers, 33's or 34's are really surprising a lot of hardened solid axle stalwarts all over the country. We have more clearance up front, keep wheels on the ground and don't dig the front end in as much... especially in slushy clay and mud in the VIC high country where a lot of our development work has been done.
We have had a number of "skeptics" converted and sold their lifted and locked Cruisers and Patrols to get into a IFS +05 Hilux.

We really believe IFS is the way forward and you will see a lot of Solid Axle proponents change their tunes over the next few years when they see exactly what a well set up IFS truck can do. Plus they are so much nicer to drive on road that you get to your destination in much more comfort.
Also with less solid axle vehicles being sold new the shift will be forced on them to a large extent as well.
70/79 Series will be phased out within 5 years.
New Patrol is IFS and IRS.
So it leaves Land Rover defender, Jeep Wrangler/Rubicons, G Wagens and not much else on the horizon... Solid Axles will be a second hand commodity and parts will get scarce and expensive so I feel that the days of bush dominance of the solid axle trucks is numbered.

We can do the front shocks only for $995 delivered. C Spanner included.
Coil top hats are $175.

You can use your current coil, no problem.
Depending on it's age and use it could be worthwhile replacing.

Just a note, to date we have had to use a set of coil compressors to assemble all the D40 coilovers we have sent out, so if you did want to buy a set of front shocks only you will need to assemble them with coil compressors, so you might as well re-use your current coil top hats and save yourself some money. Or it can be done on the vehicle using the strut tower to hold the unassembled strut while you compress the coil with a jack but it isn't advised... accident or damage is a good chance.

We advise that any suspension components be installed by a mechanic of suitably trained and accredited installer.

Drop me an email or call if you would like to discuss anything specific to your own vehicle in terms of coil rate and basic set up.
[email protected] 0430 297 444.

Also just a quick note on general discussion about differing opinions regarding suspension etc.
We are huge fans of forums and the honest, open public discussions that can be had. We can all learn a lot from the sharing of information, ideas and previous experience.
So feel free to ask questions, and query things.

We like forums because we have nothing to hide and have seen that the positive comments by forum members who are running our gear and love it is the best form of advertising possible.

We have learnt a lot from our time on forums and some of the people who currently contribute to MR products started as customers with great ideas on a way to solve a problem or a new way to look at something.

You will never see us drawn into ugly arguments online, it's unprofessional and unnecessary in my honest opinion. Rather we will discuss anything with anyone who is polite and respectful... just like yourself Nathan and the manner in which your questions and queries have been posted.

So keep all the questions coming, we will try to answer them in good time to the best of our ability.

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
that price is with front springs and i just got extended shackles for the rear... i just got mine back today put the 3 inch lift from monster rides and 50 mm body lift sits way higher now huge difference and so much better now offroad went out strait after i got it back now its covered in mud i also got mickey T MTZ's 285's like the other cars above and its unstoppable!!

Ryan,

Thanks for your posts and feedback.
Did you have much issues clearing the 285's on the stock rims?
Need to trim much on the inner guards up front?
I'll post up the photos you sent me as well.

Well guys i probably should do an update. As you know ihave the MR kit in the nav. I recently got the adjustable fronts and put them in muself and set them a touch over 3 inch. So far has handled awsome. On and offroad. Good wheel travel and good handling. As for the rear i removed the one inch block and stock springs an replaced with the sax 3sds 2 inch lifyed spring an buds drop shackles. Im still running the Rekon shocks in the rear. The rear is awsome. Awsome flex and works perfect. Im still currently tweaking the rear. I need new brake lines in order to stop them braking lol. I will also play around with the springs to get more travel and see i i can get some longer shocks from matt. Cheers guys

Thanks Ray... very pleasing to hear that the set up is working well for you.

Would be good to get your truck out for a day with Jack's Hilux and give them a decent comparison against each other.
You both run the same size tyres so it would be a reasonably fair comparison.

Gday,

just thought I would post up my experiences so far with Monster Rides and the Rekon kit for the D40. Its a 2011 ST with 40,000km on the clock and suspension wise was stock as a rock, the rear leafs were sagging and front struts leaking oil and in general the ride was uncomefortable. After months of research on forums, talking to people and gathering quotes I called Matt at Monster Rides. After about 5 minutes on the phone it was obvious that this was the best VALUE for money and would tick all the boxes I needed. I say value for money because some people get the word "cheap" and "value" mixed up, yes it may be slightly more expensive than some generic brand out there but the benefits are obvious.

So I ordered the Rekon Kit and SAX 2" lifted leafs and installed it myself. The rear came up about 3.5 inches so once the front struts were installed it was simply a matter of grabbing the supplied C spanner and winding the front up to desired height. Obviously the rear came up so much because the standard springs were shagged. I drove it around for a couple days to let the front settle, wound it up some more and got a wheel alignment done. Its as easy as that. Overall it came up 2.75 inches and man is it nice to drive now. Roads I used to drive nearly every day that shook the fillings from my teeth are no problem. Off road is where it really shines however. Approach angles are vastly improved, obviously ground clearance is much better but the way it keeps all 4 on the deck and trucking on with great flex just keeps impressing me.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch but it isnt, im a diesel mechanic by trade and I know good product when I see/ test it and this is the ducks nuts.

Glen.

Glen,

Great write up... thanks very much.
Very pleasing to hear that our gear is exceeding your expectations and performing well.

I look forward to some updates and images of your truck getting dirty!

Very nice looking truck... I really like the silver.

Cheers Lads,
Matt

Hey,

Here is the Stage 1 ReKon kit, $1800 delivered:
Assembled Front Coilovers with C Spanner
Rear Shocks

IMG_0086-1.jpg

The coilovers here feature a HD set of Lovells coils. We can also source Dobinsons or Kings if you have a preference.

IMG_0075.jpg

A close up on the coil seat, and threaded body as well:

IMG_0074.jpg

Any questions please let us know.

Cheers
Matt

how have these kits been going in the test vehicles? Have there been any issues?

Please post some flex pics, I want to see the extra advantages this kit offers with its offroad ability.

Just about due for a lift in my truck so doing my homework.

I want to retain on road drivability and comfort, be able to handle steel bar, winch, alloy tray with jack off tool boxes, handle the weight of the camper trailer, then when unload be able to gain as much flex off road as possible.
Don't want much do I...lol

how have these kits been going in the test vehicles? Have there been any issues?

Please post some flex pics, I want to see the extra advantages this kit offers with its offroad ability.

Just about due for a lift in my truck so doing my homework.

I want to retain on road drivability and comfort, be able to handle steel bar, winch, alloy tray with jack off tool boxes, handle the weight of the camper trailer, then when unload be able to gain as much flex off road as possible.
Don't want much do I...lol

????

Latest posts

Back