Nissan to enter V8SC in 2013

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm picking this thread up again, missed most of the middle bits.

I've watched the V8's since the LC/LJ Torana days and I reckon it all became quite uninteresting when they got rid of the extra classes and just ran Ford V Holden, mainly because the cars looked so similar (I'm not a real full blown petrol head) and they became much more reliable.

I'm looking forward to the Merc's and Nissan's getting back in, I've always been a Ford fan, but between you and me I'm really hoping the Merc's and Nissan's kick the local products in the backside.

What would make it even better is if they got rid of that bunch of wankers they call commentators. Am I the only person who reckons they're jerks?

I'm with you, siringo. Not a mad keen fan, but still a fan. I can't stand how the commentary team focus on one aspect - Neil Crompton used to mention watts linkage at least 3 times a lap. And I hate how they barrack for Garth Tander.The new teams should shake things up a bit. It will be interesting to see how long Ford continue - I reckon the Falcon is going the way of the Magna/380.

Crompton never did anything in a car. I actually got the impression from the TV that other drivers thought he was a bit of a brown nose wanna be.

On another note, I don't know how these teams manage to get so much money for the sport. I reckon motor sport is a minority sport in this country and it must cost many $100's of $1000's to get cars onto the grid if not $1000,000+

Like with the Kelly boys building their new machine, I find it hard to see that they would have much left over at the end of the day to live a fancy lifestyle.

Yep, him and Dave have some type of boob war going on i think ...

Or maybe they're just keeping abreast of each others antics on the forums. Either way it's rather titilating.

Last edited:
Crompton never did anything in a car. I actually got the impression from the TV that other drivers thought he was a bit of a brown nose wanna be.

On another note, I don't know how these teams manage to get so much money for the sport. I reckon motor sport is a minority sport in this country and it must cost many $100's of $1000's to get cars onto the grid if not $1000,000+

Like with the Kelly boys building their new machine, I find it hard to see that they would have much left over at the end of the day to live a fancy lifestyle.

To be fair its not really a minority sport, pretty sure it sits just behind the afl and nrl and considering it only has 13 rounds a year in oz its crowd figures are pretty dam good. And yeah the cost to run a team is big $$ which goes to show they do make money out of it otherwise it wouldnt be viable. TV figures alone are pretty good and now that its up for renewal again its tipped to be well into the 300 millions for the rights and considering the teams own the licences which in turn get a large slice of that 300mill they go quite well .Dont think thats the kinda money for a minority sport.

To be fair it is perceived as that mainly due to the severe lack of media exposure in papers etc.... unless you look for it on the net or v8 mags. You certainly wont see on the news unless its a race weekend and rival networks only show clips if there is some good prangs...

Am I the only person who reckons they're jerks?

Not at all. They are both know it all wankers, Skaife's ego was allowed to grow too big when they let him design the demolition derby track he made for the Sydney race and Crompton has been a dickhead since before he stopped driving. I'm not denying they have knowledge of the sport but there is plenty of others like Mark Larkham who also have that knowledge but know how to present it without coming off as arrogant arses.

And I hate how they barrack for Garth Tander.

I'm glad others notice this too, I thought my dislike of Tander was tainting my thoughts.

Factory support (atleast in part) goes a long way. Ford failed on the factory support front in the late 90's and early 00's and it was obvious. Money from other sponsors also helps but with the money Holden put into their teams it allowed their teams to spend more, which in turn helped them achieve more, which then got them more and better sponsors. It wasn't until Ambrose gave Ford something to be happy about Ford started putting more money back into the sport.

At this time Nissan are the same, they are offering Kelly Bros a lot to put their name on the grid and without the money Kelly Bros Racing would not have made the jump to Nissan. It wasn't until last week that Kelly's resigned with JD, but without Nissan support even JD's money wouldn't have been enough to convince them to change badges.

Merc are a different barrel of monkey nuts at the moment, they have little if any factory support but support is coming from a subsidiary of Merc performance racing which gives Stone Bros a base to work from without that support they wouldn't be running a Merc badge just to have a Merc on the grid.

There has been pics of the engine and different parts but the official Altima will be released on Oct 30

To be fair it is perceived as that mainly due to the severe lack of media exposure in papers etc.... unless you look for it on the net or v8 mags. You certainly wont see on the news unless its a race weekend and rival networks only show clips if there is some good prangs...

That's exactly where/how I get/got my perception from. There's more coverage of A-League soccer (which I follow) than the V8's.

How about this years bathurst coverage.

WORST I'VE EVER WATCHED.

Way too many adverts, it was a complete disgrace.

C7 have really been pushing the boundaries with the ads this year, there hasn't been many races where they have gone more than 10 laps (unless it's the dying stage of the race) without an ad break and often it's every 5 or 6 laps.

I thought last weekends coverage was comical. AVESCO should really get rid of international drivers, but that is a different argument, however because of the stupid start which saw atleast half an hour of TV before the official start they were going less than 4 mins between ad breaks and all they did between ad breaks was show the replay of the accident from 5 different angles then have another ad break. Once upon a time C7 won awards for their coverage of the races now days they get them given to them out of sympathy.

A recent difference with the TV coverage is again money driven. With both Channel Nine and Ten being broke, Channel 7 are (probably) forced to broadcast more ads than they would like to make sure the event pays for itself.

I've always thought Ch 9 broadcasts sport the best - watching the footy I find myself yelling at the Ch 7 director for making a total cock up of it.

Looking forward to seeing the Nissan car and a bit of variety next season.

C9 are rich again, not that they were ever going to be broke they were only playing with numbers on paper. I think C10 has a lot to answer for when it comes to V8 coverage, they did an abysmal job of it for the time they had it and when C7 got it back they almost carbon copied C10's mistakes.

I don't have a huge problem with Nissan or Merc being involved as long as IF they struggle and end up not being as competitive as they are expected to be they don't get compensated by way of rule changes or exemptions etc to help them win like happened to Ford 10 years ago.

Back