tigerz winch info needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should fit, the bolt holes on the hawse fairlead are 255mm apart hopfully that helps. Number plate could try getting a slimline one for the front, or just move it to one side but to one side looks dicky IMO.

i would go rope. its lighter and stronger but does need ot be taken care of. liek washing after use and also make sure you wear gloves when spooling it back in or itll take ur fingers off.

rusty

I suppose it would, you would just need to plan your recovery to avoid rocks or protect the rope with a towel or something?

I just can't wait to get it fitted on Saturday so I can skull drag something with it as a test. Might go around to neighbours houses at night and move their cars........

hahahaha that would be a good test, maybe flip them on their roof lol or purposly get bogged

as stated you would try to avoid rocks even with steel cable. maybe use ur recovery dampener/blanket under neath where it will be rubbing on the rocks.

I went for cable but only because it was cheaper and I don't expect to be using the winch on a regular or even semi-regular basis, for me it's a just in case of once in a blue moon I need a winch.

If I was actually going to be using it much I'd have gone for rope too.

can someone who has a rope winch on a standard winch bar put up a pic of the hawse? curious to see what it look like

I was almost gonna go for an avenger or even pay a bit more for the warn, but if these tigers are as good as the reputation follows it, this is an absolute bargain.

Edit: Anybody have this on a ARB bar on their 22 ? Fit alright? And how difficult was the install ?

Cheers.

Edit: Anybody have this on a ARB bar on their 22 ? Fit alright? And how difficult was the install ?

I've got an ARB commercial bar on a D22 and a Tigers11 12000lb winch but the winch is sitting on the bench waiting to be installed.

I won't have time until the next school holiday break but I'm happy to take notes as we are installing it (and some photos if I can do that and not drop things like winches on myself at the same time).

I've got an ARB commercial bar on a D22 and a Tigers11 12000lb winch but the winch is sitting on the bench waiting to be installed.

I won't have time until the next school holiday break but I'm happy to take notes as we are installing it (and some photos if I can do that and not drop things like winches on myself at the same time).

Cheers mate. I'm definitely considering getting this winch, and would like to install my self, but just uneasy about the electrical side of it. Some say it's a breeze while others think it's rocket science to figure out.

i ended up ordering a 12000lb cable winch yesterday, hopefully its here by next weekend

The wiring side of fitting is super easy. All the cables from the control box and terminals on the motor are colour coded, so all you need to do is connect the colours. Just a bit of info, I pulled mine out yesterday to inspect it after some bonnet deep water crossings last weekend, and there wasn't a drop of water in the gearbox, there had been a small amount in the motor but was dry when I had it apart. Its a great winch very happy with it! Cheers Glenn

Found this guide:

Synthetic Ropes Versus Steel Cables For Your 4WD Winch

Before the advent of great synthetic rope technology like Dyneema rope , a lot of winch rope were in fact steel cables, which were the best option when the choice was either steel cables or natural fibre ropes. Depending on what you are doing with your 4WD, some people still prefer steel cables, though before you decide what will suit your needs best it’s a good idea to think about the pros and cons. The following are some of the main points to consider when choosing between synthetic ropes and steel cables.

Reasons To Use Synthetic

One of the great reasons to choose synthetic ropes is because they are extremely light and very strong, meaning you will be able to carry more weight on your winch than you would if it were steel cable. Unlike their natural fibre predecessors, synthetic ropes won’t rot and if you have to cut a synthetic rope it is easy to reseal the end by just melting it with a lighter. As far as maintenance goes, synthetic ropes win again as there is virtually no maintenance necessary, and synthetic ropes are easier to untangle than steel cables if you ever end up with your ropes in a twist.

Things To Be Wary Of When Using Synthetic

If you don’t own a good set of gloves, synthetic ropes can rip all of the skin off your hand if you aren’t careful, so you need to be really careful and wearing good gloves when relaying synthetic cable. Burrs also have a tendency to stick to synthetic ropes so again you need to be careful when relaying cable as the spikes from the burrs can sometimes go straight through a glove. Finally, synthetic ropes have no fire resistance to them, so they can and will burn, so be careful if using them in situations where this might become an issue.

Advantages Of Using Steel Cables

Despite the incredible advances in synthetic ropes, there are still some great reasons to use steel cables. For one they are almost half the price of synthetic ropes, so for a cheaper option that can still do the trick, steel cables are a good move. Steel cables are also great as far as abrasion resistance goes and when lowering a vehicle, some say steel cables have better shock resistant qualities.

Disadvantages To Using Steel Cables

Using steel cables can be quite a lot of work, as they need to be lubricated, cleaned and maintained regularly if you hope for them to last a decent length of time. The extra weight of steel cables is also a big factor as they add a lot of weight and bulk to your vehicle.

Both synthetic ropes and steel cables certainly have their time and their place to shine, though when all things are considered, you and your 4WD will likely be better off with synthetic ropes on your winch. Synthetic ropes allow you to keep your vehicle as light and manoeuvrable as possible while still having the ability to do some recovery work, so for your best all round performance, choose synthetic.

I've also read that steel cables are better for heat dissipation from the winch drum, especially winches that have the brake inside the drum.

While i agree with most of what has been said above the part about rope being more hazardous for you hands is a bit of a stretch......

I have seen plenty of steel cables that have frayed in more than one place, or just have the odd sneaky strand of wire poking out... you cant tell me that wont hurt if it sticks in your leg as you clamber up a steep slippery hill, or if it grabs your hand when re-spooling

personally i see it like this.....

Synthetic rope is lighter, so not only are you carting 9kg's less over the front end, but when you are climbing up a hill looking for a spot to winch from its much easier.

It doesnt retain any memory, so when you uncoil it it doesnt want to spool up in big ringlets on the ground.

Its easier to spool it back on the winch.

It doesnt give you wire splinters, or if one strand brakes youre not going to get that sticking in your hand or somewhere.

If it does brake you can just tie a not in it to get you out of the s#!t.

its pretty much maintenance free.

Its safer, when and if it does brake it isnt going to recoil and possibly hurt/damage someone or something.

Wire cable does have a few benefits.
eg...can handle heat, this is important as some winches brake and gearbox's generate allot of heat and can not run synthetic rope.

If you use it allot in sharp rocky terrain it will out last rope, obviously it will handle being dragged over rocks better then rope.

Cable is cheaper to replace.

For me the advantages of rope, well and truly out way the disadvantages.

Last edited:
didnt u just post that exact same post in a different thread?

Yeah pretty much, after seeing your recommendation for others to use this thread as a guide, i thought i would have a read.
Thats when i realised that i didnt quite agree with all that was written.
Having used and owned both cable and rope i thought i would ad 2cents here as well.

Is that ok? or do you want me to delete it?

Latest posts

Back