Cape york august 2013!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul did u meet les Higgins (bush tucker man on ABC) in your army days
I had a drinking session with him in cape trib in 94
Went for 3 days
What a legend

G'day mate,

I met Major Hiddins at Land Command/ Field force Battle school at Tully N/Qld in late 1980's. He his a great bloke!

Regards,

RLI

picked the rim up this arvo
thanks paul
i owe you a hangover
to be installed in punsand bay
are we there yet

Well i am having trouble deciding what tires to take to the top end. I have a set of 4 big horns 265/75R16 but dont have a spare that size (or a 16inch rim wide enough to fit one). Or sell the 16inch mags and buy 5 33' x 10.5 in some sort of AT for the 5 15inch rims i have.

AT tires for the 15 inch rims will be more comfortable for the drive up there on the thousands of road Kms we will be doing.

Any thoughts on the subject/what tires are you guys taking to the tip?
Im about 50/50 at the moment on which way to go so any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Cheers
Bryce

Well i am having trouble deciding what tires to take to the top end. I have a set of 4 big horns 265/75R16 but dont have a spare that size (or a 16inch rim wide enough to fit one). Or sell the 16inch mags and buy 5 33' x 10.5 in some sort of AT for the 5 15inch rims i have.

AT tires for the 15 inch rims will be more comfortable for the drive up there on the thousands of road Kms we will be doing.

Any thoughts on the subject/what tires are you guys taking to the tip?
Im about 50/50 at the moment on which way to go so any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Cheers
Bryce

G'evening Bryce,

I have 3 x 16 x 7 D22 factory rims that are going free off charge! All you have to do is organise the freight to your location!

I gave sparra a 16 x 7 inch D22 factory rim, so that he had a second spare for the Cape trip! The big horns will be fine for your trip. All you will need is two second-hand mud tyres 265/75R16's as your spares! (make sure both are the same tyre pattern)

PS, I could be selling 5 x 265 x 75 x 16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's These tyres are already Cape York proven. I bought these tyres in June 2011 for my last Cape York trip. When i sold the D40 last February , i took them off and put the old factory tires back on.

They have only done 25,000ks. The spare is still new! I now have 2 of them on my camper trailer and the other 3 as spares for the camper-trailer. The reason i am looking at selling them, is to match my 285''s on the Patrol.

Regards,

RLI

I will be running std size bfg all terrains
And carrying 2 spares
Thanx again for the rim Paul
It's in the shed with a nice coat of black paint on it
Will paint my other rims over the weekend
I like the black look and am too tight atm to get black steel rims b4 the trip

Last edited:
Hey all, just been catching up on the last couple of days posts....

I was thinking the same thing about the tyre situation.... New AT's or my current 31' Bighorns. Pretty sure ill stick with my current and Ill be carrying 2 full spares regardless of which tyres are on it.

Our current camper only has road tyres on it and 1 spare, but the intention is to change campers to a full offroad with matching stud pattern wheels to help with spares if need.

Not that it will help - but will be running 285/75/R16s Mickey Thompson's on 16x8 steelies. Will be unfortunately running 15" rims on the camper but a spare for the camper and two for the Patrol.

Also - have been out of action the last couple of days - serious domestic accident - no - the missus didn't beat me up - but oven cleaner in the eye will always give you a bad couple of days! Back on deck now though!

Jas

Not that it will help - but will be running 285/75/R16s Mickey Thompson's on 16x8 steelies. Will be unfortunately running 15" rims on the camper but a spare for the camper and two for the Patrol.

Also - have been out of action the last couple of days - serious domestic accident - no - the missus didn't beat me up - but oven cleaner in the eye will always give you a bad couple of days! Back on deck now though!

Jas

Oven cleaner.... That'll do it to you...! Bloody good effort!
Was it voluntary to do the oven or were you made to do it...???
Hows the water going up there?

My Oztet RV-2 arrived and I couldn't wait to set it up to see what it looks like and how truthful the "30 second" claim is.

Pretty damn close to 30 seconds to put it up! Now I just gotta make a bracket for the roof racks to hold it!

Attachments

• image-2620309385.jpg
    image-2620309385.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 53
Ha ha
Funny you should mention that
We are currently doing some financial shuffling and looking at purchasing a camper trailer
As the saying goes
Happy wife
Happy life
Are we there yet

Yeah me too. What you looking at..?
I'm thinking about the enz trading/ campers ones. Cheap cheap.
Imported camper, trailer built in the back of the factory.
I checked them from top to bottom. Already have an old one so know what's what and fir the price still can option and or fix it to my needs. Extra seals, batteries, tank, storage etc.
The downside is making my wife happy also means finishing Reno-ing the house...!!!

looking at a few
from lladners 2nd hand gic up to a new cub camper
the 2nd hand market is flooded with good 2nd hand ones
a rental from jonnos campers for a month is $2100

looking at a few
from lladners 2nd hand gic up to a new cub camper
the 2nd hand market is flooded with good 2nd hand ones
a rental from jonnos campers for a month is $2100

G'day sparra,

Jas has just purchased a Jonnos camper trailer. I am pretty certain he has also visited the factory where they make them!

PS, give him a call, he will give you good feed-back (not head) lol

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

wouldn't say it's a factory more a shed on the outset of maryborough. bloody good campers. a little dearer than some but well built! any having a long history in the hire trailer area there setup is simple but works well!!
Bryan

Latest posts

Back